Thursday, September 27, 2007

Tuna salad with quinoa and tomatillos

There once was a time when some bloggers referred to me as a queen of fish. With the arrival of the princess of fish, I regret that I have been neglecting my royal fishy responsibilities, and not posting much about fish lately. Little princesses take quite a bit of time. But I am glad to report that I have another tuna salad for you to try. Come to think of it, it's quite good with any fish leftovers too, not just canned tuna.
I used red quinoa, since that's what was on hand. It has a slight crunch and is very tasty, but you can make it with regular quinoa, wild rice, black rice, and even couscous.


I don't have time for a real "recipe" right now, but here is what's in it and I am sure you can improvise the rest.
  • Canned tuna, drained (I prefer to use one in oil)
  • Cooked quinoa, cooled
  • Sliced tomatillos (tomatoes make a good substitute)
  • Thinly sliced red onions
  • Cilantro (parsley, basil, and mint can all be good)
  • Lime juice
  • Salt and pepper
Sometimes I wonder how many interesting tuna salads one can come up with...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks fantastic, I'm going to try it tomorrow! At first glance I thought you'd added avocado...now I can't get that out of my head and I may have to add it, too. Thanks for the inspiration!

Heather and Dan said...

The princess of fish may have slowed your posting down, but the quality sure hasn't suffered!

(And those pictures of her meeting her grandmothers are heart-meltingly beautiful!)

christina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
christina said...

Helen,

Thanks for the great posts, I eagerly look forward to your updates!

I was wondering if you could clarify why you prefer tuna in oil?

I've read that oil packed tuna is lower in Omega-3s and higher in mercury than tuna packed in water. I also personally don't like the taste of the oil and find it difficult to completely drain out.

Of course, my research has probably been a lot less scrutinizing than your own, and/or maybe you just prefer the taste of tuna in oil!

Thanks!

Helen said...

Hi Christina,

I just prefer the taste of tuna in oil, but if you like it in water just use that.

Cheers,
-helen

SteamyKitchen said...

Little Princess will soon be cooking fish in the kitchen!

Sheltie Girl said...

Thank you for the gluten free quinoa salad. It looks delicious. I originally came by to read about parasites in fish.

Congratulations on your new little one.

Sheltie Girl @ Gluten A Go Go

Anonymous said...

That salad looks really good, and the color combination is lovely!

www.chocolateshavings.ca

Aimée said...

Aww, congrats on your princess, she is adorable. This is an exciting recipe! Thanks.