Saturday, December 10, 2005

An Ode to Domenic’s Panino Tonno

Oh holey crumb! Oh brittle crust!
With pungent tapenade inside.
It was true love at that first bite.
For Domenic’s!

All those calories be damned --
I'll have that sandwich for my lunch
With luscious tuna flaky bunch.
Oh Domenic’s!

But cruel fate – the corporate gods
For work to Natick made me flee
So very far away from thee,
Dear Domenic’s.

I tried to come on my days off
Only to find your closed doors.
My broken heart filled with remorse
For leaving dear Domenic’s.

How could you think that I forgot
Your simple charm, your rustic bread,
That all those years kept me fed.
Oh Domenic’s.

As I reheat my frozen lunch,
I pray that you forgive my sin
Of choosing work over cuisine.
Please, Domenic’s.

But faith has never left my soul
And years after saying “Nay!”
You let me come on Saturday.
Oh Domenic’s.

Panino Tonno touched my lips --
Its taste has all my dreams surpassed.
My heart with joy was filled at last.
Oh Domenic’s!

Domenic’s Italian Bakery and Deli
987 Main Street
Waltham, MA 02451
781-899-3817
Now opened for lunch on Saturday! Oh, and Monday-Friday as always.

4 comments:

Urban Agrarian said...

Yipee, I work in Waltham. Can't wait to try it.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful ode. I'm glad it's open. Too bad I don't live in the area. ;-)

Paz

Anonymous said...

Fun Ode, and I am looking forward to trying the Panino.

Ilva said...

Helen-I'm posting the recipe on Baccalà on fried polenta crostini today!